During New Testament on Thursday we were discussing Matthew 27:25. It reads, "Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children." In context this verse is written after some of the people against Jesus cried to Pilate to crucify Christ. This is a very interesting verse especially because many people cite this verse as a reason for anti-semitism and/or the Holocaust. Naturally, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not teach anti-semitism and thus we do not interpret it as such. One of the reasons is that this phrase is spoken by Jews to Jews. Without this lens, one could very well be confused. One thing that struck me is an example that was brought up in class. Dr.Holzapfel could not understand why some very intelligent people in the church agreed in this one specific instance that this very possibly could be a reason for the Holocaust. I understand where he is coming from but I think that the actual answer to this problem of thinking that the Jews should be blamed for the death of Christ is teaching others that this is not true. And that this verse does not express it. I don't think being appalled at other's misunderstandings will change their views. And I don't think that Dr.Holzapfel meant to come across as such but I feel from some of the students faces that they also shared that appalled opinion.
I feel that although the thinking of this verse of being a reason for the Holocaust is wrong, I do believe that we should teach others to see through the actual lens in which this verse was written. And understanding should be used in a large proportion because this thought has been around since the Crusades. How can one expect others to know what this verse truly means when it has been used as a device against Jews for so long.
And thus I want all to know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do not believe that this verse is a reason for the Holocaust or any other anti-semitism idea. And that when one reads the scriptures with the lens in which they were intended, one will learn the real implication behind the scripture and be able to lovingly correct those that are misunderstanding.
No comments:
Post a Comment