Sunday, November 16, 2008

MOA Exhibition

A few class periods ago, our New Testament class went to BYU's museum of art. I'm not sure if every campus has an art museum and so i think we are quite blessed to have one. I'm not too much of a museum person but I'm smart enough to not take it for granted. Especially because my great-grandfather designed the building :) 

Since we are in New Testament, our class visited the religious art section. It was a little sad because it was not the main exhibition like last year, in which there were far more pieces to enjoy. But thankfully I was able to take advantage of last years exhibition and see all the religious art. This time there were only a handful of paintings, but it was still beautiful. We had a lovely lady tell us about a few paintings and explain some symbolism. I'm not too keen on someone explaining symbolism in paintings, books, etc. just because there are soo many possible answers. But it was good to know what some people interpreted them as.

One of the paintings that I especially loved was a modern painting with a cup of water, a cup of blood, and an empty cup I believe. And the way it was painted was so beautiful! To me the painting represented life, death, and the resurrection especially pertaining to the life of Jesus Christ. It also impressed me that such simple elements such as water, blood, and air could portray so much to me. It also reminds of the parables of Christ and how he would generally use simple everyday symbols such as water and bread.

No comments: